GuidePedia

1
At the Red Deer show the RCMP not only came out in full force but they also swept the venue with a drug dog. I have zero problem with the officers being present. None, but why so many? And why the dog? Why do we as a community always seem to draw such special negative attention?

I want to see this low opinion of riders and rider owned businesses change - but how is the 64 million dollar question. How do we as a community change this perception of us?

What do we have to do? We are the ones who have to do the work, but figuring out a place to start is tough.

The RCMP say if you are doing nothing wrong why would it upset you? It's not about us doing anything wrong - its about us wanting to find a way to change the opinion of us as a whole.
It is amazing how many spectators said they felt uncomfortable by the high presence of the RCMP this year - no different than they felt last year when there were so many of the Red & White involved - they - the public- expressed that concern very vocally last year. Excess is excess - does not matter what side of the fence you look at it from.

I do not know how we can foster a better relationship - the positions are always so adversarial and when I called the RCMP to simply ask questions I felt like the officer was so on the defensive that I couldn't find any common ground to communicate on. I want to know what we could do to foster a better relationship. But there really does not appear to be a way. It's like being caught between a rock and a hard place. The Red & White and the Police are the rocks - and the rest of us get caught in the middle - so what do we do?

Any ideas people?

I am home - finally and buried for the next week in paperwork, but I'll tell yah people, we have some serious work to do in this community and we need to act sooner than later.

Your thoughts on concrete and positive steps that can be taken for us as a community to change the perception the RCMP have of us would be deeply and gratefully appreciated.

Anyway - stay safe and warm...

Belt Drive Betty

Post a Comment

  1. Anonymous6:45 AM

    Hi there....you know, I couldn't help but feel bad when I read your blog tonight. It's so unfortunate that people have to feel threatened by others for no apparent reason. I think the problem is...number one: "bikers" have always been portrayed as rough, tough, beat you if you get in their way kind of people. You and I know that is very far from the truth, unfortunately that's the image that is portrayed in movies, adds, media, etc. I used to feel this way also, until lately, I've been around people who love to ride, love to feel the freedom of being on such a beautiful piece of machinery. I've always been a believer in being who you are and living what you love and I think that "bikers", (I use that term as lightly as possible as I believe they're no different than "quadders, snowmobilers", etc. It's actually very sad because I've found that a lot of these big tough guys...and gals...that ride bikes are very big hearted people, they truly are a family and will go to the ends of the earth for each other. Look at how everyone gathered around Mike Cole on his Harley Ride....
    Second of all....you have to remember...Red Deer is a hick town, for lack of a better word, a lot of rednecks, rig workers, cowboys, etc...I've found that if you don't fit into the niche of one of these groups...you're ousted immediately.

    I'm with you, I don't understand why people aren't given a chance before they are automatically pinpointed as "troublemakers". As with any other group of people, there are always the very few that put themselves out there as bad examples and because of that, the "innocent" ones are also chasitsed for being the same way. Don't know if that's the right word to use but you get my drift, lol.

    Honestly, I think that until people start to love their fellow man and stop worrying about who is better than the other, we will never settle things like this....it's like the RCMP and the teens....adults and teens.....it's automatically assumed that they're bad kids if they're caught "walking the streets" at night. I've driven school bus now for 15 years and worked in the school system in between my bus runs and honestly....there are so many wonderful teens out there but so many have been picked on by the law and others that they are automatically on the defense when they are confronted by one or the other. There are a lot of these kids that simply want to be outside at night...they like the night...and they like being in the fresh air, nothing wrong with that.

    My hat is off to you Belt Drive Betty!!! If the RCMP and any other group of people that feel the same way as they do, were to spend some quality time, with an open mind, with you guys at some of your shows and such, they'd see that you are no different than they are. You're both a "group of people" living your lives the way that makes you happy. Neither group of people is different...just the way that they are looked upon is different. If I can think of anything that can help you out?? I'm there, I'll drop you a line.

    Until then, keep the newsletters coming, I enjoy reading them when they "pop up" here, lol.....and the best of luck to you!!

    My best wishes and thanks for all your hard work on here,

    Carol C
    Red Deer, AB

    ReplyDelete

 
Top