GuidePedia

0
Today as I was going through the news feeds more than one item had me shaking my head and wondering at humanity and where we are heading.


The first of such head shaking events came when I read about the book "The Fat Mexican: The Bloody Rise of the Bandidos Motorcycle Club", by Alex Caine. The book chronicles the massacre in Ontario and speculates on why it happened.The trial is only just completed, the verdicts just delivered, the ink not even dry but there you have it the book is already available.

The next thing that had me truly shaking my head in utter amazement was the news about Facebook and their decision to keep the profiles of people no longer with us... On Tuesday, Facebook announced that profiles of the deceased would remain online, with a few adjustments. Only people already on the dead person's friends list will be able to find them in name searches, and the profile will be locked to new comments. The decision came after a slew of users complained that Facebook's "suggestions" function – a list of people an algorithm thinks might be your friends – kept suggesting they connect with dead loved ones. Presumably, pages of people known to be deceased will now be kept out of the feed. 

Confusion...

We are being told by one set of experts to twitter and blog and join social networks as they will help us in our careers but others are telling us to watch how we behave on them as more an more employers Google your name, look you up on  social networks BEFORE they call you for that interview.


The other set of experts will tell you that social networking can and will damage your career if you you get caught partaking at work. And yet others are urging employers to create social networking policies. One very interesting article is: Social Network Work:  Technology can play a role in harassment, discrimination and other problems in the workplace.

From texting to tweeting, the technological revolution is affecting every segment of our life, including work. “Technology has moved a lot faster than employer, employee policies have been able to keep up with," employment attorney Sue Simons said.

So there you have it, my daily dose of confusion, now I am ready to go to work! Social networking is a huge part of what I do every day. I have my Facebook update, My twitter update, my own site's status feed to do and then a paper to build.

If you are lucky enough to be riding your motorcycle today, PLEASE, ride like everyone around you is blind and can not see you.

Belt Drive Betty

National VP - A.I.M. Can

www.aim-can.com

 www.beltdrivebetty.com

Post a Comment

 
Top