GuidePedia

1
As I spend time with my brother and his family I have come to the conclusion that having a terminal illness can be a blessing. While this is not my first rodeo with cancer, it is perhaps the first time that I have understood that having a diagnosis like this can be a gift. At least he has the opportunity to talk to people, tell them he cares - right old wrongs and generally make peace with things.

I think often of the people who die suddenly - be it in motorcycle accidents or slipping in the tub...their families don't get the "gift" of "I love you" or "Good bye" or "I am sorry"...so while it is sad what we are dealing with in my family right now - I am grateful that we are dealing with his imminent death instead of his sudden death...

As I read the news feeds this morning and I read the story about the New Brunswick rider who died on the weekend, or the riders who have been injured in a number of crashes - like the one in Blackfalds last week and the on in Calgary on the weekend...their families do not have the benefit of the good bye's, the amends, the I love you's...

Life is truly like riding a motorcycle. It is a hell of a ride and we go about living it/riding through it without too much thought most of the time to the people around us - until we get cut off, or someone turns in front of us unexpectedly...when stuff goes wrong all of a sudden we start to reconsider/rethink the way we do things. Perhaps we decide to get an air horn or we decide to get a full face helmet because of an incident that changes our perspective. Perhaps we take some time out of our work schedules to live our lives differently - to spend time with the people we love...

When you leave for work today, when you head out to whatever it is that makes your life busy - stop for two seconds and take a look around before you head out that door and ask yourself this question....

"If I never came back - if this was my day to leave this earth - would my wife/husband really know I love them? Would the people in my world know how much I value and care for them?"

Make this day a turning point in your life - take the vow that every day you are going to SHOW the special and important people in your life that you love them. Take the time to go for a walk, to cuddle on the couch - words are cheap - it is action that counts...

I love you all...please be safe and ride like everyone driving is BLIND and out to get you. Watch for unsafe loads and debris and please - Ride Proud not Loud - save your pipes for that time when someone is about to invade your lane....

Belt Drive Betty
www.beltdrivebetty.com

Post a Comment

  1. Thank you My friend. I lost my father to cancer about 2 years ago and i never looked at it the way you described. I did have the opertunity to, and took it, to say I Love You Dad. Not every man can say those words to their father but i did it with freedom and respect. I just wish that in my youth i had more taken the time to know him better.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top