GuidePedia

1
Part of the solution or part of the problem?

Yesterday I shared on my Face Book Fan Page the Anonymous Video on YouTube regarding Bill C-30 and Vic Toews. I had one rather heated discussion over the wisdom of posting it. I had made the comment - another snake exposed – someone who lacks integrity and honesty.

While I did not like their method of delivery, they connect the dots of all of the publicly available information. I looked at the information provided and did my best to overlook the delivery method.

They appear to do have done their home work – I Googled much of the information in the video and it appears to valid and much of it publicly available, all save for the letter information.

Their message is very concise, the information extremely valuable when all put together in an outline but I am afraid that the message and the information on a public figure's conduct is getting lost in the shock and awe type of delivery and over shadowed by the threats.

I have conflicted feelings about Anonymous, on one hand I am grateful they are out there connecting the dots, digging up the information, the truth and forcing dialogue and yet…their delivery is one of intimidation and I feel it harms the cause.

But then again – I see the value in the shock and awe delivery as it relates to creating a frenzy of awareness and dialogue.

Let's face it - if Peter Mansbridge delivered this information as a breaking story – sans the threat and the delivery method, I am not sure it would generate the same outrage or dialogue by the traditionally quiet and complacent Canadian public.

Some call Anonymous methods Cyber Bullying, and again, that’s not untrue…it is bullying of a sort and as I said, I feel it harms the cause.

I feel like I am on a see-saw. The only thing I am certain of is that I am concerned by Vic Toews and the conservatives more and more all of the time. I am scared of what will happen if the RCMP and CSIS are allowed to infiltrate our on line lives in the way they want and what that will really look like and mean to us as Canadians. I am concerned about a politician who speaks one way and acts another – and sadly we have all witnessed that type of behaviour.

I do not think that there is any other method of delivery that Anonymous could have taken that would be as effective in elevating this discussion to the fore in the way this method has.  Do I like it or agree with it? No - not really.

Now Rick Mercer delivers a similar message – he does it with humour, candor and no threat of exposure – and yet, as wonderful as his message is – he is not stirring people to action the way Anonymous is…or is he?

And the main stream media has done stories on it, but again, they do not appear to be stirring people to action…or – have they?

GLOBAL

Open Media

CTV

I am glad the politicians are going to revisit this issue…

Which report got your blood boiling enough to write an email, sign a petition or otherwise act? Was there more than one?

How do you feel about Anonymous and their delivery methods and threats? How do you feel about the information they brought to the forefront?

Do their tactics scare you? Disgust you? Do you think that the ends justify the means?

How do you feel about the RCMP and CSIS having access to every thing you have on your computer?

How do you feel about the direction our government is going in?

I have my opinions, conflicted as they may be – I WANT TO HEAR YOURS.

As I expressed to the gent in our discussion yesterday, the value of those who disagree with me is 10 fold to me when compared to those who agree with me.

I like having my core values challenged, and work hard at being open to hearing other opinions.

Here are a couple of quotes I feel fit the topic…
“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.”
Ayn Rand

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956), Women As Outlaws

If it matters, it produces controversy.
Jay Greene

In other news:


In the US - Score one for the SAE J2825 Test  - the same testing we are saddled with in Edmonton and many other communities - the same test that is difficult to administer, labour intensive and only for motorcycles...the new law if passed in New Hampshire.

In Edmonton a man is charged in the fatal crash that killed a NAIT instructor.


In Halifax an off duty Mountie is charged with impaired driving.


In BC - The verdict in the trial of RCMP Cpl. Monty Robinson is set for March.

      A random stabbing causes concern in Abbotsford...
      An RCMP officer is under investigation after cocaine and cash go missing.

      And a motorcycle riding GM takes over at a Vancouver Hotel.


I leave you with a couple of funnies to hopefully give you a giggle - cause after all is said and done - I think we need to laugh a little....


Have a great Thursday and for those of  you who subscribe to the news of the riding community in Canada, hope you enjoy your Busted Knuckle Chronicles today...

Belt Drive Betty
Editor & Rider

Post a Comment

  1. Bernie C9:02 AM

    I see nothing wrong with anonymous. Giving the police unfettered access to our personal information without justification is just wrong. He was not happy about strangers having access to his personal info but has no problem allowing police the same access to all canadian citizens.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top