GuidePedia

0
Yesterday another Canadian soldier was brought home. Cpl. Steve Martin  - he is one of  154 who have been taken from us in the Afghanistan conflict.
Just 2 days shy of his 25th birthday he was killed in the line of duty. 
My heart goes out to his parents and all who love him.


As we here in this country get ready to celebrate Christmas I ask you to reflect on something else... as hard as this may be to wrap your head around, I want you to consider the families of the "other side".


War is messy business. It is hard to see the "other side" as human, as having families, wives, kids, parents when they are "responsible" for the death of our own - but guess what, they do.

During the second world war, a young soon to be Queen named Elizabeth, fought in the trenches with her troops running an ambulance with her princess sister Margaret and together they witnessed the horrors first hand. Princess Elizabeth began to undertake public duties during the Second World War, in which she served in the Auxiliary Territorial Service.

Her quote on that horrible time in history is as appropriate today as it was back then...
In remembering the appalling suffering of war on both sides, we recognize how precious is the peace we have built in Europe since 1945. Queen Elizabeth II



Even she understood that the soldiers of the other side - much as we do not agree with their politics or way of life, have families, people who love them.


I can't begin to understand the pain the Cpl Martin's parents feel, loosing a son, not being able to celebrate his 25th birthday or Christmas with him. That pain has to be unbearable.
It is, I suspect no less unbearable for mothers in Afghanistan. 

I think - I hope - that is one thing everyone can understand - a mother's love and a mothers pain.


Peace - as long as there are human beings with differing agendas and beliefs, I am not sure we will ever achieve global peace and yet we must try and strive for it. 


This Christmas as you eat dinner with your family, unwrap presents and share the common bond of family, friendship and love - I ask you all to remember those who are no longer with us. Say a prayer for every soldier who is doing their country's bidding no matter the side they are on, for their families cry tears that are just as real and born of the exact same pain that we here feel for our soldiers who are gone.


I support my troops. My government is a totally separate issue.

I really  don't know what the answer is to finding peace but I support the children who through no fault of their own other than they were born to a parent who felt the calling to protect and defend their country and beliefs - no matter their religious or political view - I feel for, pray for and support those children who now find themselves without a parent.
My single biggest fear is that these children are the ones who will grow up angry, wanting to lash out and perpetuate the war against those who took their parent away spurred on by those who have hatred in their hearts - those with political agendas that have nothing to with peace and everything to do with oppression.

This - in my heart of hearts - is why I believe so many of the  Middle Eastern conflicts never get resolved and have in fact lasted thousands of years. Revenge. The children grow up wanting revenge, wanting to lash out for the torment and pain they have felt.

As sad as I am for Cpl Martin's parents and family I am equally saddened by what the children experience here and over there. 


The only important question here is HOW do we stop this vicious and unrelenting cycle of revenge and vengeance? How do we love and support these children of war and help them to learn a different way of life when in reality they have never know peace? It is a foreign concept for them - they have never known it.


I guess I ask these questions because I am a mom. Perhaps if more of us around the world asked ourselves these questions we'd find the answer...
The law of attraction says that if we can dream it it exists...today I dream of peace.
If we as a collective dreamed of peace, empathy and love we would all find he answers we seek.


Like everyday, I welcome your feedback and opinions as it is through sharing & talking that we become stronger and more empathetic.

In the News today:


Writer William Perry  - a former priest and police officer wants to bust some myths



Paul Jr wins in court against Paul Sr


There are many new motorcycle reviews in our Lifestyles - Motorcycle News & Reviews section as well as some new technology for your motorcycles in the Health & Technology for your bike section.


Have a day filled with thoughts of love and peace - I know mine will be...
Please if you are attending Christmas Parties, plan your way home in advance!

Belt Drive Betty
Editor & Rider

www.beltdrivebetty.com
www.bustedknucklechronicles.com

Post a Comment

 
Top